Pages

Sunday 28 February 2021

Llewelyn

As promised, I am back here again to share more up-to-date crafty stories. It's 1st of March tomorrow. In Wales it is a nationally celebrated St. David's day. I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to crochet a dragon toy (the red dragon being the national symbol of Wales). 

So here he is. Meet Llewelyn :) 


He received his name after a medieval Welsh ruler - Llewelyn the Great. A Welsh dragon needs a good old Welsh name, won't you agree? :)


To make him I used a pattern from Kornflake Stew. Originally he is Django, the dragon. But my aim was to make him as Welsh-looking as possible :)


I decided he will be made with Scheepjes Riverwashed yarn, shade: Nile. This two-tone yarn is just perfect to make a red dragon. The cotton red core of the yarn is blended with some yellow/orangey fuzz giving it a fiery look. Its yarn weight is sport/baby so it gives a nice size. The toy is about 35-36 cm tall. Not too small and not too big either. Just right.


The Red dragon of Wales despicted on the flag is all red but I didn't want Llewelyn to be entirely red as it would be a bit bland. I wanted some contrasting horns, spikes and wings but at the same time not to be diverting from the Welsh colours either. Another Scheepjes Riverwashed yarn, shade: Seine has worked really well here. The core of the yarn is red but the outer green fuzz gives a nice contrast. So this way I could have my cake and eat it :D :D :D


I was pleased to see how these two shades work well together in this dragon.


I modified his wings a little. I made them a bit larger and one row longer. I know they are meant to be grotesquely small and this is part of his charm but those in the pattern were way too tiny for him.


A little tag attached. The crafter's signature, saying "mine!" :)


The Daffodil pin - another symbol of Wales. Love daffs - the sign the spring is on its way! 


His feet really amuse me LOL They are more like trotters than dragon's talons :))))


Thanks to his feet and a short tail he can stand on his own!


Oh dear, I think he is a bit sad...

Now with his mates :) Better.



The End

Have a nice week and don't forget to say hello :)
New projects in the making! Coming soon!

1 comment:

Share Your Love, leave a comment :)
Thank you for your time x x x